“I live with the people I create and it has always made my essential loneliness less keen.”
Carson McCullers, The Square Root of Wonderful, 1958
Related articles by Zemanta
- Rattlestick unveils slate (variety.com)
- Book Review: The Ballad of the Sad Cafe and Other Stories by Carson McCullers (blogcritics.org)
- The Girl Who Was JT LeRoy [Books] (gawker.com)
- A lover of science and fiction but not science fiction (boston.com)
- The Most Important Relationship (philipcarrgomm.wordpress.com)
- Bookmarks along Georgia’s Literary Trail (thestar.com)
1 thought on “Writers Write”
Your selection of writers’ quotes is so thoughtful.
It’s worth noting that McCullers uses the word “people”, and not “characters”, and I think that usage speaks to the power of the creative mind and what’s required to realize its output, as well as to McCullers’ recognition of how her writing life makes her non-writing life somehow more tolerable by making her loneliness “less keen”.