Tea Party Nation founder Judson Phillips apparently thinks it’s worth considering restricting voting rights to property owners because they have “a greater stake in the community.” Presumably, the more property you own, the greater your stake, and the less time you have been in the country, the smaller your stake. Weighted voting, anyone, among even property owners? Stands to reason. While we’re venerating and returning to the Founding Fathers, why not restrict citizenship to men and humanity to white people? Those positions had rationales too.
In a letter to Think Progress, Judson defended himself.
A couple of weeks ago, on the Tea Party Nation radio show, I was talking with David DeGerolamo of NC Freedom about the Founding Fathers and the original Constitution. During the course of our discussion, I mentioned that the founding fathers limited voting rights to property owners. I commented this was a wise idea.
Apparently, two weeks after the show, some liberal stumbled across it and today, that comment has turned into liberal headlines such as, “Tea Party Nation President says It Makes A Lot of Sense to Restrict Voting to Property Owners” and “Tea Party Leaders Attack Constitution.”
Apparently, in Judson’s world it is a “liberal” response to be offended by the notion of property-based voting rights.
According to TPM,
Phillips is also known for defending an email he wrote calling for supporters to help “retire” Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) because “he is the only Muslim member of congress,” among other things.
Tea Party Republic, redefining reactionary back to the Glorious Revolution.
- Tea Party Nation leader thinks voting is just for property owners (inquisitr.com)
- Tea Party Leader: Restricting Voting to Property Owners ‘Makes a Lot of Sense’ [Ideas] (gawker.com)
- Tea Party Nation President proposes taking vote away from tenants (boingboing.net)
- Tea Party Nation President Judson Phillips Advocates Taxation Without Representation (bigthink.com)
- Tea Founder: Limit Vote to Property Owners (drudge.com)
- Tea Party Nation President: ‘Restrict Voting to Property Owners Only’ (bradblog.com)
- Tea Party Leader Wants Voting Restrictions [Dispatches from the Culture Wars] (scienceblogs.com)
- Tea Party Leader Wants To Restrict Voting Rights To Property Owners (alan.com)
- Tea Party Nation Asks Sarah Palin To Run For RNC Chair (blogs.abcnews.com)
- Tea Party Nation President: Only Allowing Property Owners To Vote “Makes A Lot Of Sense” (mediaite.com)
- Tea Party Leader: Makes “Sense” To Restrict Voting To Landowners (oliverwillis.com)
- Tea Party Nation Calls On Sarah Palin To Run For RNC Chair (mediaite.com)