Glenn Beck? He’d have to be more histrionic. Rush Limbaugh? More the buffoon. What about Ron Paul, then, who came in first in last week’s CPAC Presidential Straw Poll, with 30%. Here, in 1974, is Robert Welch, founder of the John Birch Society, which once was synonymous with right wing extremism and rejected by respectable conservatives. See if you can find much difference from today’s GOP. Paul even advocates the same return to the Gold Standard. But we need recall that Paul was the keynote speaker at the JBS 50th anniversary in 2008. Today’s Republican Party, burning bridges to the nineteenth century.
- First Read: Ron Paul wins CPAC straw poll – msnbc.com (news.google.com)
- Embracing their inner extremist at CPAC: Ron Paul wins the straw poll again (crooksandliars.com)
- Ron Paul Wins Presidential Straw Poll at CPAC (themoderatevoice.com)
- Young Americans For Freedom Expel Ron Paul (redstate.com)
- Can Ron Paul Trump critics in 2012? (politico.com)
- A Lack Of Confidence (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com)
- GOP Puts Crazy Uncle Ron Paul in Charge of US Monetary Policy (littlegreenfootballs.com)